Income Tax e-filing can be done online through the Income Tax website without any cost in 2 different ways:-
- By furnishing all details online itself – I like this method because this is simple!
- By downloading the Excel Utility and furnishing details in the Excel Utility offline, then uploading on the website.
Income tax e-filing without Excel utility procedure
- Click here to visit the Indian income tax e-filing site.
- Enter your user ID (PAN Number)
- Password (that you had chosen while registering). If you don’t remember your password, click on “Forgot Password” link on the form.
- Date of Birth (this is visible once you fill in the PAN number)
- Enter the Captcha code. This is to ensure that computer robots are not attacking their site and that it is being accessed by humans. Only human eyes can read a complex image and not a computer. If you can’t read it, you can change the image by clicking the refresh icon next to it or hearing it out loud by clicking the speaker icon. If you still have difficulty accessing it, select “Request OTP” and that will send you OTP number on your registered mobile to verify that a human being is filling the form and not a robot.
- Then click “Login”
Prepare and submit income tax e-file
Since a random ID is generated, you cannot follow a specific link to submit the form (even after you are logged in). Hence, as seen in the screenshot below, either follow in the top menu – e-File >> Prepare and Submit Online ITR or on the left hand Quick Link navigation, click “Quick e-File ITR”.
- Type in your PAN number
- Select ITR-1 in ITR Form Name field
- Choose the Assessment Year. Here, you should select the year you are filing for. E.g. most people would file for FY17 so they would select FY 2016-17.
- Pre-fill Address with:
Choose appropriate. Hint: If PAN Database or Previously Return Filed doesn’t have the correct information, you can fill it and save.
- Digital Sign: If you don’t know what Digital Sign means, probably you don’t have one and you can simply select No and move on.
- Click Submit
On submitting, you would see the Instructions tab. It is a good idea to read it before you proceed.
Important points to note:
- Do not press Back button
- Save Draft at regular intervals to avoid on losing saved information due to auto session expiry sign-out
- Do not Press Enter – it would submit the form
As shown below, only use Save Draft or Arrow Keys to save the currently filled information as a draft or to navigate between different tabs. Do not click Back button of the browser, it may need you to re-login.
Even if your session expires, do not worry; you can again open the last saved draft version by re-login.
Start filling the details in the various tabs and verify before you submit.
Procedure for income tax e-filing using Excel Utility
The following Article Illustrates 8 Simple Steps for strong>Income Tax efiling by downloading the Excel Utility
- Log on to https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and select the Income Tax Return Form for your type of Income. There are various different Income Tax Return forms for different class of assessees.
- Furnish all details in the downloaded Excel Utility and also required to cross check the same with the figures as mentioned in your Form 16 / Form 16A and Form 26AS.
- Generate a XML file for the purpose of Income Tax efiling (The procedure for generating XML File for Income Tax e-filing is explained below).
- After generating the XML file from the Excel Utility, logon to your account on the Income Tax Website and then Select “Submit Return” from the relevant options on the left panel. (In case, you are doing Income Tax e-filing online for the 1st time, you would first need to create an account on the Income Tax website).
- Browse to select XML file and click on “Upload” button.
- On successful upload, the site will display acknowledgement details. The site will automatically generate and send an ITR-V to your registered email ID.
- In case while e-filing income tax return you used your Digitally Signatures to digitally sign the Income Tax Return Form, the whole process will be complete on generation of “Acknowledgement”.
- However, in case while e-filing income tax return , you didn’t use Digital Signatures, on successful uploading of e-Return, the site will automatically generate and send an ITR-V to your registered email ID. Tax payer should sign this ITR-V acknowledgement form and send to the Income Tax office.
Sending your income tax acknowledgement by post
After preparing and submitting the Income Tax Return online, you will need to take a printout of the ITR-V acknowledgement form, sign it and send it to the Income Tax Department office by post.
- The due date for Income Tax e-filing is 31st July for assessee’s not required to get their Tax Audit done. For all assessee’s required to get their Tax Audit done, the Due Date is 30th September.
- All Income Tax dues (after deducting the TDS and Advance Tax paid) computed as per the Income Tax Slabs are required to be paid before filing the Income Tax Return
The Address for sending duly signed ITR-V form is:
Income Tax Department – CPC, Post Bag No – 1, Electronic City Post Office, Bengaluru – 560100, Karnataka
Please post strictly by ordinary post or speed post only, within 120 days of transmitting the data electronically.
In case, Form ITR-V, is furnished after the end of 120 days from the date of filing of Income Tax Return, it will be deemed that the return in respect of which the Form ITR-V has been filed was never furnished. It shall be incumbent on the Tax Payer to electronically re-transmit the data and follow it up by submitting the new Form ITR-V within 120 days. This completes the income tax e-filing process for non-digitally signed Returns.
In case if there was any error incurred in Income Tax e-filing and you realized it later, you can always file a Revised Return of Income u/s 139(5) before the expiry of 1 year from the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of assessment (whichever is earlier).
Help contact numbers
Refund/ Refund re-issue rectification, notification and processing
Monday to Friday 8 am to 8 pm
1800 425 2229 (toll free)
(+91) 80 2254 6500 (call charges may apply)
1800 103 4455 (toll free)
E-filing of returns or e-filing login
Monday to Saturday 9 am to 8 pm
1800 425 0025 (toll free)
(+91) 80 2650 0025 (call charges may apply)