UAN means Universal Account Number. Every Provident Fund (PF) holder can have a UAN. With a UAN number and hence UAN passbook, the basic idea is to have a one-place for people who have multiple IDs from employee provident fund organization (EPFO). UAN acts as a high-level umbrella. Whenever an employee joins a company, he/she has to fill a “Declaration Form 11” and UAN number is also one of them. Learn below on how to generate UAN Number.
Following are the steps for generating UAN number for getting a UAN passbook:
How to generate UAN number
Following steps will help you generate UAN number.
- In EPF form, fill up your state and office area column.
- Enter your PF which has been bifurcated into Region/ Office/ Establishment Code/ Ext/ PF Number.
- Then select the “Check Status” button. If we receive a message that UAN number is activated, it is clear that EPFO has allotted you as UAN holder.
Features of UAN member passbook:
- UAN will be an umbrella for those members who have multiple IDs. It will act as one-place for all allotted IDs.
- EPFO has to be allotted UAN.
- 17 crore EPF members have been allotted UAN whose contribution was received between 1st January to 30th June 2014.
- With the UAN, every employer has to tag Member ID.
- With every UAN, KYC details have to be seeded.
- The primary KYC’s of UAN are AADHAR CARD, PAN, and Bank A/C numbers.
UAN also has a portal called Unified Portal for EPF. EPFO portal launched this portal on Dec 18, 2016, for UAN passbook holders. This Unified Portal is available at unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/member website. This portal has following key features:
- You can download and print your updated UAN passbook any time
- Downloading and printing of UAN card is also available any time
- In this portal you can update your contact details and KYC (know your customer) details
- Activate your UAN – needed only once
- Know your UAN status any time
- UAN portal allows you to register yourself – required only once
Advantages of online UAN passbook
Having a UAN passbook online have the following benefits:
- Prints your UAN passbook:
Download PF passbook. You just have to login into UAN portal and download your PF passbook in PDF format.
- Transfer claim amount:
Using UAN you can also request for claim transfer, you just have to claim amount by logging into UAN account.
- UAN Card:
Download UAN card from the website by logging into your account.
- KYC Documents:
You can also update your KYC documents like mobile number, email address, ID proof, and address proof. You just have to upload your documents on UAN passbook or UAN page.
- List Member IDs:
UAN account can also help you in listing member’s IDs. Once you log in, you can update your listed Member IDs as well.
- Check account status:
If you want to check your provident fund account status then you will need to login on UAN homepage to check your account status. You can also check your EPF claim status online from your EPFO member portal.
If you have any questions regarding UAN passbook or EPF UAN portal, please write them in comments. I will try to answer them if I can or I will try to provide pointers.